IT BEGINS (or it did three months ago)!

When I came fresh out of college like a summer daisy, I had the thought that finding work would be an easy and relaxing experience. I didn't take into consideration the dismal state of Britain, oh no, I simply wafted out on my own cloud of naivety. 


A year prior to me going back to college (for the second time!), I had tried to look for work. It was unsuccessful until I got offered a job in a chain coffee shop franchise five minutes from where I live. High on the feeling of getting a job, I made sure I was the model employee. I listened to all commands, I memorised the different types of coffee, the different handles, the amount of coffee needed and, most importantly, how to up sale. 
My worst nightmare had indeed come true.

About an eternity into this job (or was that a week?), I decided that it was time to kick start a new career path. 
I had been told by multiple people that my skills with computers, and people, could be put to better use in the offices of the world. An administrator, they said, would be something I would be good at. I would feel positive about this new job, I would really blossom as a person, plus the pay packet would be miles better than what the chain from hell was going to ever offer me.

After applying for various jobs, and failing at all attempts, it became clear to us all that I would have to go back to college to study how to photocopy and how to write a letter. Luckily, my local college offered a Personal Assistant and Event Administrator course. It boasted colourful and wonderful skills you would learn, and then there was the hint at the end. The hint about working in a real place, not just one made up by them to get you interested.
A real company... It was almost as if it were a dream.

Well, since finishing that course in July, I have yet to find that magical company that would offer me a job. Maybe it really was a dream? There is no such wonderful place where you simply float in on your naive little cloud. I long since shook my cloud away and I'm now facing the depressing state of being unemployed.

This little blog is going to be a journey of trying to find myself, and my career. I thought that some other people who are just like me, may benefit from what they read here. You never know. There's always someone looking for work and I see that every single time I have to step inside the job centre, but that is a whole different blog post my darling reader. A whole different one that probably won't appear on this blog.
Go and open the DailyMail, they normally have some snide comment to make about us unemployed individuals!

0 comments: Post a Comment